Sunday, January 6, 2008

Week 6

Vocab
misogynist (82)- hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women
brigade (90)- a group of individuals organized for a particular purpose
Figurative Language
"Our proud tradition of structured human courtship is under attack- the lions are circling.... (90)" This is a metaphor, saying that our courtship will cease to exist, as if a lion 'ate it.'
" I am a gay american. And I couldnt be more gayer now that the gays are on the run. Of course I'm using 'gay' the way are founding fathers intended, to mean 'happy,' before it was stolen from them gays, just as they stole their tights, wigs, and codpieces (107)." First of can I just say L.O.L. (laugh out loud) and second, this is ironic, plain and simple.
"Eat a bug a bug: Prove you love your country as much as the contestants on Fear Factor (121)." This is a similie, talking about proving your loyalty to Fear Factor.
Quote
"The more you know the sadder you get."
This is significant because it really shows Stephens sence of humor, and how he can beautifully craft something into a sad/humorous subject.
A theme Stephen seems to clearly present is that he shows a very macho, right winged bias when in reality hes taking all of this thoughts over the edge just to make fun of them.
Dear Stevo,
Well I finished your book and I cannot tell you all the times I almost pooped my pants. It was just fantastic. I laughed, I cried, I lost 15 pounds! Just kidding but seriously terrific work. Some of my favorite subjects you touched apon was Gays. I know its a super serial sensative subject, but your "outlook" just cracks me up. I also loved your discussion on sports. Easily the best line of the book... "Athelets preform for our emjoyment. So "performance enhancing drugs" are really "enjoyment enhancing drugs." No one but you could put it like that. Once again thank Stephen T. Colbert for granting this earth with one of the only books I enjoyed reading. I cannot wait until your back on the air.
Much Love,
Charlie

No comments: