Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Week 3

Vocab
farce (127)- a light, humorous play in which the plot depends upon a skillfully exploited situation rather than upon the development of character
bridge (147)- to overcome differences, similar to reaching an agreement
Figurative Language
"America is NOT a land of immigrants (183)."
This is ironic, because Stephen is pretty much insulting immigrants in American\, saying they do not belong, when we maintain the name "land of opportunity.
"The future is ruled by damn, dirty apes (203)." Essentially, this is an Onomatopoeia, making fun of the film Planet of the Apes where humans are ruled by talking apes. I really couldnt think of any other example.
"Granted the temperture is steadily increasing, but I've been taking some measurments of my own, and the degree to which I care about the Harp seal is still holding steady at 'way less than I care about my Audi A8' (199)."
This is a metaphor, saying that Stephen really does not care about current issues with our environment.
Quote
"...because in America, people of all colors live in perfect harmony (171)."
I like this quote because it truely shows that Stephen Colbert is an honest and humble person. This also vouches for his saying when he says "He doesn't see color, and is blind to race."
Theme
A reccuring theme that I seem to notice is that STEPHEN COLBERT MUST BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, regardless if hes already been denied for the primary. From topic to topic, the more I realize how great the man is, and how big of a mistake South Carolina is making.
Dear Stephen,
As I continue to read your novel, the more I miss you. Although this book has filled your absence on the television machine.
I have to say, easily my favorite tib bit in your books is about the Guy sitting next to You at the stadium. This interpretation gives voice to average-joes, like myself. He makes a valid point about illigal immigration and how its ruining jobs, suchas drywall. Not only does the Guy sitting next to You at the stadium wet my wistle, the puzzles and interactive games really draw me into your mindset. I now feel more confident, and more American when Im with my peers. Not only am I now well informed my mind is superior than everyone elses... thanks to you
Yours Truely,
Charlie Lavin

No comments: